For Oxfam Horsham
Overview: Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities and campaign for genuine, lasting change. Our volunteers, staff, and those we aim to influence are all guided by our values of empowerment, accountability, and inclusiveness.
Our Shops: With a network of over 600 shops, our diverse volunteers play an integral role in championing Oxfam’s value, running the shops and promoting our life saving work to the wider community.
Through the sales of donated goods and our ethical range of new products, Sourced by Oxfam, our shops raise millions of pound each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty.
Oxfam shops are at the forefront in campaigning for sustainable fashion and we are proud that no item of clothing donated to us finds its way to the landfill.
Since it opened in 1974, all donated clothing items that do not sell in our shops are brought into our Wastesaver warehouse, where they are sorted and sent to various retail channels such as festival shops, specialist boutiques, and Oxfam’s Online Shop.
Why do we need you?
Our shops would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring multitude of skills.
In return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people.
You do not need specific skills and experience as we will give you all the training and support so you can help us sell lots of goodies each week by providing customers and donors with amazing service.
We ask for 4 - 8 hours per week, we can be very flexible around employment / education and any other commitments you have.
Some travel and lunch expenses can be covered too.
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interest, you may be involved in the following:
• Using the shop’s guidelines to sort and price donated clothes, books, homewares etc.
• Providing customer service on the shop floor.
• Creating attractive displays across the shop.
• Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
• Promoting our exciting sustainable fashion campaigns such as ‘Second-Hand September’.
• Listing items on our online channels including Oxfam’s Online Shop.
• Promoting our shops to the local community through social media.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
Volunteering is a great way to boost your confidence, skills, and CV. Plus...
• You will be joining thousands of volunteers who “won’t live with poverty”.
• Learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development, and campaigning work.
• Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience.
• Gain valuable experience in retail at an international charity.
• Opportunity to gain nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service, warehousing, retail, and management.
• Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering:
• Full induction
• Health and Safety
• Role specific training e.g. till, Gift Aid, Oxfam online shop, etc.
Oxfam Horsham | 23 Carfax, Horsham, RH12 1EB
Our shop complies with Covid-19 guidance and we aim to keep everyone safe with thorough cleaning and welfare procedures.
Tempted? Click apply now, your details will be forwarded onto us and we'll get back to you soon! We aim to reply to applications within two working days or receiving your referral. If you haven’t heard from us, please check your junk folder.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
You do not need specific skills and experience, but the following would be useful:
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability, and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• An interest in retail and customer service.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• Willingness to learn.
We ask for 4 - 8 hours per week, and can be very flexible around employment / education and any other commitments you have.
RSPCA Sussex Chichester & District Branch
Petworth & Pulborough Scout District
Petworth & Pulborough Scout District
Submit a quick enquiry to express your interest in this opportunity.