For Age Concern Mole Valley
Do you have 1-2 hours free a week?
Would you like to make a difference to someone’s life? Yes?
Then Age Concern Mole Valley has the perfect opportunity for you.
We are looking for volunteers to join our Befriender scheme in Dorking and Holmwood.
Befriending is a process whereby two people come together with the aim of establishing an informal and social relationship. The primary goal is to form a trusting relationship over time in order to reduce feelings of loneliness or isolation and to contribute to the well-being of an older person.
• To visit an elderly person in their home to provide social contact and support on a regular basis, thus forming an on-going relationship of friendship and trust
• Spending time with the client providing much needed company, sharing life experiences and interests and engaging in activities that are mutually agreed upon
• If required assist the client with understanding any information sent to them, this may include helping them with any post
Personal qualities and experience most suited to this role:
• Understanding the needs of and be able to empathise with older people
• To be respectful of the client’s individuality and be accepting, understanding and non-judgemental
• Good communication and listening skills
• Reliability, patience and sensitivity
• You may on occasions need to be gentle but firm and be able to set limits
• A sense of humour and a warm and friendly personality
• Maintaining confidentiality
• Ability to stay calm and focused when an emergency arises, reporting any safeguarding concerns to the appropriate people in a timely manner
• Willingness to work within guidelines but use own initiative as required
Most of our Befriender clients prefer a weekday visit but we do occasionally have requests for a weekend visit
Cruse Bereavement Care - Crawley, Horsham & Mid Sussex
Horsham Refugee Support Group
Family Support Work
Age Concern Mole Valley
Submit a quick enquiry to express your interest in this opportunity.